Posted by Penny
on December 30, 2011
If you’re lucky enough to live in Melbourne right now, you’ll know the forecast is hot-hot-hot! I’m off to the beach with some buddies, and these are some beach-worthy accessories I wish I was taking with me!
1. Le Pixel by Basil Bangs – surely the coolest beach umbrella in existence? A portable beach umbrella from a little Aussie company sounds like a great idea!
2. Panama Sun Hat from New Internationalist Shop – these sun hats are Fair Trade in Ecuador, Bolivia or Peru. They’re made from straw, and they’re roll-up-able – so you can stuff it in your beach bag when you’re not wearing it!
3. Tote – Lovebird Red by Apple & Bee – organic, red + birds. Enough said.
4. Marimekko Unikko Pink & Red Beach Towel by Marimekko – obviously Marimekko are super stylish. Did you know they make beach towels using organic cotton? Well, you do now.
5. Aloe Vera Gel by Sukin – Oh My Green endorses the slip, slop, slap method of sun protection, but we know even the best of us can get a wee bit much sun sometimes. Sukin aloe vera is my favourite – you should be able to find it at your local chemist.
Cheers to some fun in the sun!
Posted by Penny
on December 28, 2011
It’s a teensy bit late, but happy holidays! Hope you’re all having a good one! I’ve been busy stuffing myself with food and drinks over Christmas, zipping all over town to different family lunches and dinners, and having a really excellent time!
Now it’s time for relaxing and some Summer reading, my favourite! I grabbed myself a copy of Conversations with Creative Women, by wonderful Tess McCabe of Creative Women’s Circle, and it’s a goodie! (It’s also a limited edition so get in there quick!) Also of course the Summer issue of Peppermint, and my brand new copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I love reading cookbooks, absorbing the recipes, and then making up my own. With not always amazing results, but still. I’m stubborn.
That’s also my brand new Angus & Celeste vase you see in the background, which I love!
Back soon with more! xx Penny
Posted by Penny
on December 21, 2011
, Gift Ideas
Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies
If you’re still on the hunt for some last minute gifts for Christmas – good luck. This year online shopping has been my plan, and my Australia Post staff have been like angels (and even more so if they deliver one last parcel!)
I always feel that, this close to Christmas, the only thing for me to do is bake last minute gifts. My usual go-to edible gifts are vegan gingerbreads, and sometimes chocolate truffles. Gingerbread is how I win friends and influence people. It also goes really well in the post. Plus it’s really easy to make (just remember to keep the cookie dough refridgerated at all times!)
Salted Caramel and Whisky Truffle
While gingerbread is great because it keeps for at least a month, chocolate truffles are great because they’re made of chocolate. And if you’re feeling fancy, also made of alcohol.
Also check out a vegan version of salted caramel truffles here.
Peanut Butter Caramel Apples
Goodness knows kids are already excited enough about Christmas without needing an extra sugar buzz. But if you do want something to keep them quiet for a few minutes that they can eat outside, candy apples are perfect. These ones use a vegan caramel made of rice syrup so it won’t give quite the same sugar rush, and they look absolutely delicious! And they’re a pretty perfect party food too.
So much deliciousness! Then, of course, back to the daily jogging routine after we’ve eaten them all.
Take a peek at this delicious roundup on Creature Comforts Blog for more!